FEMS Honorary Members
Current Honorary Members of FEMS are listed below.
- Ehrenfried Zschech, President of FEMS 2012-2013
- Pedro Dolabella Portella, President of FEMS 2010-2011
- Bill TW Clyne, President of FEMS 2008-2009
- Paul McIntyre, FEMS Secretary 2004-2010 (deceased)
- Robert Singer, President of FEMS 2006-2007
- Wilfried Kurz, President of FEMS, 2004-2005
- Gernot Kostorz, President of FEMS, 1993-1994
- Professor Walter Nicodemi (2001) (deceased)
- Paul Costa (2001)
- Sir Geoffrey Ford, First Secretary of FEMS, 1987-92 (deceased)
- Robert Lallement, First President of FEMS, 1987-91
The status of “FEMS Honorary Member” can be conferred on appropriate individuals by the Executive Committee (EC). This can be done at any EC meeting, provided it is quorate (at least 70% of the current membership in attendance) and provided at least 70% of those present vote in favour of the proposal.
Current members of the Executive Committee cannot be elected as Honorary Members. Past EC members can be elected, although previous membership of the EC is not a requirement. Election is on the grounds of services or contributions to FEMS or to the wider Materials community.
Election to the status of FEMS Honorary Member is for life. Once the offer of election has been accepted, information about the Member, including the grounds for election, will be posted on the FEMS website. A maximum of 2 new honorary members can be designated every two years, and awarded during the EUROMAT conferences.
Honorary membership carries the following privileges and duties:
- Annual Invitation to attend the Presidents’/Societies Day meetings and events, and the associated General Assembly, with the same voting rights as other invited attendees.
- Free registration for attendance at the biennial EUROMAT conferences, including participation in the banquet dinner.
- Automatic membership of the FEMS Alumni Association
- The FEMS Honorary Members collectively constitute a consultative body, expected to be able to act in an advisory capacity for the FEMS EC. Examples of such activities include the reviewing of nominations for Prizes, helping to identify individuals suited to join the FEMS EC or to assist with EUROMAT conference organisation, nomination of Plenary Speakers, suggestions for new initiatives etc.